Every hour is Earth Hour
Earth Hour is a global movement for the environment and a signal to take climate change seriously. This is a matter of course for Södra. We work resolutely with sustainability in our operations – every hour, every day.
some of our initiatives since last year’s Earth Hour:
• Södra enters unique partnership for greener air travel
• More green electricity and heat from forests
• Södra’s nurseries are 100-percent fossil-free
• Södra to offer renewable electricity through Guarantees of Origin to Europe
• The Swedish Energy Agency grants Södra´s feasibility study on sustainable aviation fuel production
• Södra invests in pellet factory
• SEK 20 million for new sustainable transportation solutions
Södra takes a long-term approach to sustainability and we are actively engaged in several initiatives. To reduce our climate impact and use our resources efficiently, we have adopted sustainability targets for fossil-fuel independence and reduced electricity and heat consumption. One of our sustainability targets is fossil-free production by 2020 and fossil-free transport by 2030.
Södra now generates more electricity than we use to run our own operations. All of our electricity generation is based on renewable raw materials. Energy generation is a natural part of our business. Electricity, heating and biofuels are produced in our forests, our pulp mills and sawmills and the excess is used to supply several communities with green energy.
Did you know that our deliveries of green electricity could power an electric car for 50,000 laps around the world?